Interactive Notebooks

Last year we began incorporating INB (interactive notebooks) into our curriculum. When meeting with guided reading groups I have my students work on their INB pages or complete the independent pages during their word work station.  
I love using them because my students can go back and refer to any skill/concept that we have already covered in class.  INB also help assess our students' understanding of skills, and it is easy to differentiate skills based on my students' needs. 
INB are also extremely easy to integrate into any classroom, you can choose to do it during small group, or as a whole group activity.  We typically do our INB on a 2 page spread, the left side is for introducing/teaching the skill and the right side is for independent practice.  
Now, I know we all want our students to make their notebooks pretty, but that is not the point of INB, it is for learning.  My students are allowed to color their pages if they finish their "must do" Daily5 work early.  To resist the constant coloring of pages, I will copy the INB pages onto colored paper. By doing this, it makes it look nice, but my students aren't constantly asking to color everything in.

To make things run more smoothly, in the beginning of the year we complete the activities as a whole group and have recently begun completing them during our small group rotations. 

Below are some samples from our Interactive Notebook Unit for First Grade.
To get our Interactive Notebook Unit for First Grade click on the picture below.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Follow This Blog


Subscribe by Email

Enter your email address:

Powered by Blogger.

US!

US!
Dana & Lauren

Grab Our Button!

Our Store

GoNoodle Brain Breaks

We Love Followers

NJ Pride

I Love Clipart